All this Talk of Rosemary and Religion

There is nothing like the smell of fresh Rosemary

fresh between fingers, fresh from the garden,

dirt under nails from digging, dirt on knees;

you could say from praying, but it isn’t, really.

Unless praying is cooing to the plants

doing well, inhaling deep to fill the lungs,

and knowing each miracle of bud unfurled

is another occasion for wonder.

Worn, green fingers smell of tomato plants,

mix with herbs, mix with dirt,

now mix with sun rising and birds beginning

to chatter. We have so much to remember.

We have too much to forget.

We have forgotten how to be simple,

how to act justly, and love mercy,

and walk humbly with our God*.

The trickle of water to tender plants,

the buzz of helpful bees.

These things are holy windows

beneath cathedral skies.

Tonight is my first venture into the Weekly Poetry Link at dVerse Poets Pub. I have been admiring the poetry of Marilyn Cavicchia for some time now. Her poem today, Maybe the Rosemary, was rich with all things splendid and lovely, not at all religious, and because of that, divine. Her poem inspired mine. Thank you, Beautiful Muse!

* Micah 6:8 (Bible paraphrased)

Photo from here

Advertisements

12 Comments Add yours

1. claudia says:

nice…love the trickle of water to tender plants and buzz of helpful bees as holy windows..cool and def. it is a kind of prayer to kneel on the ground, hands in the soil, enjoying his creation..love the smell of rosemary as well and the scent of fresh soil…

1. Liesl Garner says:

Thank you. Thank you for commenting. I am new at dVerse. So, I’m a little speechless!

2. brian miller says:

we have so much to remember, so much to forget…and love the tie to micah 6 as well…we have lost the simple ways of the things it teaches, i would agree with you there…and love the gardening smells on the hands…there is just something about putting your hands to the earth…

3. Some very arresting imagery here. You’ve captured the wonder which can arise from small and personal experiences. Great job. Hope to see you here again.

4. Tony Maude says:

First, welcome to dVerse, Liesl. It’s always a delight to meet new wordsmths at the Pub 🙂

Second, this is lovely – packed full of rich, down-to-earth images. I especially liked “holy windows/ beneath cathedral skies.”

5. This is wonderful! I love the reference to the smell of the tomato plants, and the earth mixing with the sky. What a thrill to have inspired something so lovely! Also, I just realized who you are — I “met” you during NaBloPoMo. I’m so glad we crossed paths again!

6. Beth Winter says:

I think perhaps praying does include the garden dirt beneath the nails. Beautiful work here. Welcome to dVerse and OpenLinkNight. I enjoyed experiencing your poetry.

7. wendy says:

to wander over to waffle wednesdays and find poetry? joy!
    it is beautiful to spend a few, vicarious minutes in your garden by way of your words. thank you, liesl.

8. Liesl Garner says:

Thank you all so much for your comments. I am delighted to share poetry with you and receive such lovely responses!

9. This is very beautiful and very rich. I always feel a sense of immense gratitude and peace when in nature

10. This popped up again on my blog today (?) and was a nice reminder of you, Liesl. Your poem is lovely and vivid, and I was glad to read again that mine had helped inspire it. 🙂

1. Liesl Garner says:

Hi Marilyn, I’ve been tweaking the blog. Some of the posts didn’t have Featured Photos, and so weren’t showing up on the home screen with the photo attached inside the story. When I make that adjustment and update it, the story is posted again as if it’s brand new. Ah well. Thanks for popping by. I was just at a Poetry Reading last night at a Bookstore in Ashland, and read this one!

Liked by 1 person

Let us go then, you and I - let us discuss.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s