Heartbeat – Poetry for dverse

1526242_465430803569295_1710598740_n

There is a picture circulating

of a little girl in an Iraqi orphanage,

who misses her mother,

so she drew a chalk outline of her mom,

curled up within the lines

and fell asleep

inside her mother.

This stopped me cold.

I don’t ever want to be too tired

to tell a bedtime story again,

for as long as I live,

for as long as my sons want

kisses and songs and stories.

These moments of snuggle and calm

are too precious, too much of a structure

to build upon – a life of knowing

where we stand – Right here

within the beat of our mama’s heart.

Advertisements

15 Comments Add yours

1. cpsingleton42 says:

That picture is so terribly sad.
    The poem carried a love that mirrored it.
    Well done!

1. Liesl Garner says:

Thank you so much!

1. cpsingleton42 says:

my pleasure!

2. brian miller says:

dang. oy. that is a heart punch. seeing that picture…that any kid would be so alone or miss their mom so much…it tears me up…yeah, dont ever take your kids for granted…and i wont as well…emotional piece…

3. Grace says:

That is a touching picture ~ And I could so relate to not being tired to tell a bedtime story again ~ My youngest would insist, and insist on a story every night, even though its the same story ~ Even though I am tired, I just had to tell the story in between yawns ~ Loving the words from the mother’s heart ~

4. Steph says:

Whoa… that photo is a poem all its own. And your words bring it to life, and makes us aware of how important we are to our loved ones. I think I’ll go have a good cry now.

5. Mary says:

What a moving write! The picture is sooooo sad. I cannot imagine how this little girl must feel inside. I agree about the telling of bedtime stories. As long as children want to hear them, they should be told. So many children, such as the little Iraqi girl, will not hear them ever!

6. billgncs says:

I long for the bedtime stories I never told. This was very nicely said.

7. grapeling says:

a good reminder to hug my sons ~

8. MarinaSofia says:

‘For as long as my sons want kisses and songs and stories’ – mine are getting to that age when they don’t any more and I miss it more than I would ever have thought possible in those early years when I was so tired and fed up with the same story over and over again.
    Very poignant picture and such a heartfelt cry you share with us – thank you.

9. claudia says:

you know that picture…tears… think that is the most moving photo i ever saw… and yes… it is a good reminder to give what we have for as long as we have the possibility

10. alan1704 says:

A great piece and that moment when you hug your kids is precious. Love is never without reward,

11. Gabriella says:

This is a heart-wrenching picture and I think your poem complements it beautifully! Bed time stories are very special moments for both kids and parents.

12. You make me cry with this story.. the picture and that one together… so well penned.

13. hypercryptical says:

Such a sad moving story and picture – your words show us how important it is to give our love.
    Anna :o]

Let us go then, you and I - let us discuss.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w